I agree with others that the way that query is constructed is a bit odd, but it does bring another optimization to mind: when doing an inner-join between a parent and child table when RI is defined between them, if the query only refers to the child table you can drop the parent table from the join, because each row in the child table must have one and only one row in the parent.

Use-case: I'll often use views to make it easier to query several related tables, but not all queries against the views need to hit every table. IE: if a table has several status fields that have RI to parent tables that describe what each status is, you sometimes will query for the status description, sometimes not.

I suspect that checking to see if tables have the right unique keys or RI would add a noticeable amount of extra work to query planning, so we might want a GUC to disable it.