> I don't think you've thought of quite all of the failure cases.  One
> that's a bit pressing is that a deadlock isn't necessarily confined to
> objects in your own database.

I'm not sure I follow. If we conditionally acquire the locks we need and
always fallback to just printing the numeric OIDs, ISTM we should be
able to avoid the infinite recursion problem. (If necessary, we can
always special-case objects outside our own database, although I'm not
sure that's necessary.)

-Neil

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq