"Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I think forensics is ok. The world is currently beeing swamped with
> related tv shows :-)

Indeed, it's the only proprosal so far with connotation of the right level of
detail that the functions about the data. Police forensics laboratories spend
their time picking up fibres and laboriously fingerprinting every surface
which is about what it feels like to dig through every tuple of a heap page.

Incidentally, Tom, were you consulting the dead-tree edition of the OED? In
which case you would have naturally not seen this in 1993 additions:

    ADDITIONS SERIES 1993

        forensic, a. and n.

        Add: [B.] 2. ellipt. use of the adj. A forensic science department,
    laboratory, etc. colloq. 1963 Guardian 2 Sept. 8/5 When a police officer
    hisses in my ear in court, `Are you from forensic?' I no longer protest. I
    just weakly nod my head. 1971 W. J. BURLEY Guilt Edged iv. 74 A breakdown
    truck is taking it to Division. Forensic can look at it in their garage.
    1991 J. NEEL Death of Partner vi. 83 `Forensic rang,' Bruce reported
    dourly. `The autopsy report is on its way.'

Though it seems like a poor definition. My English teachers would have chided
me for using the word in its definition...

--
  Gregory Stark