I wrote:

In connection with completing David Fetter's array of composites patch, I am looking at doing some better name mangling for array types as recently discussed. What I'm thinking of is prepending one or more underscores to the type name up to some limit (NAMEDATALEN / 2 ?) and if necessary truncating the result, and then looking to see if there is a name clash. That would, I hope, enable us to get rid of all the places where we require names to be no more than NAMEDATALEN - 2 chars. Does that seem like a reasonable approach? Will it break anything, i.e., is there somewhere that has assumes the array type for foo will be called _foo rather than ___foo ?

Actually, looking back in the email history I see Tom suggested this, which I'll try instead:

prepend _, truncate to less than 64 bytes if necessary,
then substitute numbers at the end if needed to get something unique.

cheers

andrew

      match