Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Bruce Momjian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Gregory Stark wrote:

> Is your database initialized with C locale? If so then length(text) is
> optimized to not have to detoast:
>
>       if (pg_database_encoding_max_length() == 1)
>               PG_RETURN_INT32(toast_raw_datum_size(str) - VARHDRSZ);

Wow, we optimized length().  OK, will run the test with
substring(t,1,1).

> Also, I think you have to run this for small datasets like you have well as
> large data sets where the random access seek time of TOAST will really hurt.

Well, if everything doesn't fit in the cache, then the smaller heap will
be a bigger win for non-TOAST access, so some of that overhead balances
out.  Let me get in-cache numbers and then I can look at larger data sets.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          http://momjian.us

       match