On Tuesday 19 June 2007 10:15, Tom Lane wrote:
> Zdenek Kotala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I'm little bit confused when we introduce new page layout version? I
> > expect that new version become with changes with pageheader, tuple
> > header or data encoding (varlen/TOAST ...). But in case when there is
> > new data type internal implementation, there was not reason to update
> > version (see inet/cidr between 8.1 -> 8.2). Can me somebody clarify this?
>
> Well, we've changed it when there was a benefit to an existing tool to
> do so.  So far that's meant page header and tuple header changes.  If
> we ever had a working in-place upgrade solution, I think we'd be willing
> to make the page version account for datatype format changes too.

FWIW pg_migrator is a pretty good swing at an in-place upgrade tool for
8.1->8.2.   Unfortunately until the PGDG decides that in-place upgrade is a
constraint their willing to place on development, I see them a good
chicken/egg away from making it a continually usefull tool.

--
Robert Treat

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq