Steve Atkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Jun 23, 2007, at 11:03 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Out of curiosity, how do other databases deal with this?

> MySQL installs with an empty root password for access from
> localhost or the machines own IP address. It also installs an
> account with network access to any database beginning with
> "test" and possibly some more ill-defined accounts with local
> access.

FWIW, on mysql 5.0.42 I see only "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" and "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
in a fresh-out-of-the-box installation; not sure where you got these
other accounts, maybe a distro-specific modification?

But the bottom line is that mysql's out-of-the-box behavior is
*exactly* like our trust-for-local-connections behavior.  Anyone
on the box can do "mysql -u root ..." and the server will accept
them as being superuser (they don't even have to know to enter an
empty password, in my experience).

       match