Let's add the ifndef to Makefile.global and change the
existing extension makefiles to

        PG_CONFIG := pg_config
        PGXS := $(shell $(PG_CONFIG) --pgxs)
        include $(PGXS)

Any objections?

Maybe the ":=" for pg_config is not necessary, "=" is fine for a simple string definition ?

Some documentation (not just code) update seems important to me. The patch I sent which describes the current status may be applied to existing branches, and something else can be written for the explicit PG_CONFIG setting.

Otherwise it looks okay AFAIC.

--
Fabien.

      match