Tatsuo Ishii <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I'm wondering if a tsearch's configuration is bound to a language or
> an encoding. If it's bound to a language, there's a serious design
> problem, I would think. An encoding or charset is not necessarily
> bound to single language. We can find such that example everywhere(I'm
> not talking about Unicode here). LATIN1 inclues English and several
> european languages. EUC-JP includes English and Japanese etc. And
> we specify encoding for char's property, not language, I would say the
> configuration should be bound to an encoding.

Surely not, because then what do you do with utf8, which (allegedly)
represents every language on earth?

As far as the word-stemming part goes, that is very clearly bound
to a language not an encoding.  There may be some other parts of
the code that really are better attached to an encoding --- Oleg,
Teodor, your thoughts?