Tom Lane wrote:
Again, I'm trying to look at the big picture of both syntactic and
semantic errors.  If we solve only the syntactic end of it I think we'd
actually be worse off, because then users would be even more lost when
they hit a semantic error (unwanted substitution).

The only real solution is to have some clear syntactic sugar denoting where variables are to be interpolated:
  SELECT * FROM foo WHERE (bar + 1) = bar   -- Which is the var?
  SELECT * FROM foo WHERE (bar + 1) = $bar  -- OK
  SELECT * FROM foo WHERE (bar + 1) = {bar} -- OK
It's not clear to plpgsql because it's *not clear*.

In any other namespace-conflict situation I can think of it's always inner-definition-is-visible. This would of course solve the problem, but only by preventing you from substituting in variables that conflict with columns. Unless you generate a warning at function compile-time that doesn't seem much better.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd