Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Gregory Stark wrote:
"Alvaro Herrera" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Alvaro Herrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
I am taking the liberty to also lower the vacuum and analyze threshold
default values to 50, per previous discussion.
Did we also reach any consensus about lowering the percentage of dead tuples
in a table before we trigger vacuum? I think 20% is way too high and 5% is
saner. I actually think it would be better even lower but would be ok with 5%.

We didn't, but while I agree with the idea, I think 5% is too low.  I
don't want autovacuum to get excessively aggressive.  Is 10% not enough?

It depends really. 10% on a small table seems like a waste except that small tables are quick to vacuum. 10% on a table with 20 million rows, is a lot of dead rows.

Joshua D. Drake

How about the analyze scale factor, should we keep the current 10%?  I
have less of a problem with reducing it further since analyze is cheaper
than vacuum.

             http://www.commandprompt.com/