Decibel! wrote:
> Moving to -hackers.
> On Jul 27, 2007, at 1:22 PM, Stuart wrote:
>> Does Postgresql have a function like ascii() that will
>> return the unicode codepoint value for a utf8 character?
>> (And symmetrically same for question chr() of course).

> I suspect that this is just a matter of no one scratching the itch. I
> suspect a patch would be accepted, or you could possibly put something on
> pgFoundry.

Nay; there were some discussions about this not long ago, and I think
one conclusion you could draw from them is that many people want these
functions in the backend.

> I'd set it up so that ascii() and chr() act according to the
> appropriate locale setting (I'm not sure which one would be appropriate).

I don't see why any of them would react to the locale, but they surely
must honor client encoding.

Alvaro Herrera
"I dream about dreams about dreams", sang the nightingale
under the pale moon (Sandman)