On Jul 30, 2007, at 1:47 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Jim Nasby wrote:
On Jul 27, 2007, at 1:49 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
It would be cool if we could do something like sweep a range of pages, initiate IO for those that are not in shared buffers, and while that is running, lock and clean up the ones that are in shared buffers, skipping
those that are not lockable right away; when that's done, go back to
those buffers that were gotten from I/O and clean those up. And retry

Would that be substantially easier than just creating a bgreader?

I'm not sure about easier, but I'm not sure that the bgreader can do the
same job.  ISTM that the bgreader would be mostly in charge of reading
in advance of backends, whereas what I'm proposing is mostly about
finding the best spot for locking. It might turn out to be more trouble than it's worth though, for sure. And in any case I'm not in a hurry to
implement it.

I was referring specifically to the "read in what's not already in shared buffers" part of Itagaki-san's message... that seems to be something best suited for a bgreader.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]