Decibel! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 11:46:47AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> "Adrian Maier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>> I have just tried to compile postgresql 7.4.17  on a HP-UX 11.11 box
>>> (PA-RISC)   and the compliation fails in gist.
>>
>> I do not think anyone cares about making 7.4.x run on platforms it did
>> not support before.  Use a newer PG release.

> Actually, this is PA-RISC, not the numerous emails we've gotten this
> week about HPUX on ia64 (what is it with the HPUX guys this week?)

Oh, my mistake --- obviously hadn't consumed enough caffeine this
morning.

[ digs around a bit... ]  However, I might have been right for the
wrong reasons.  I'm thinking Adrian is trying to build for 64-bit
HPPA (a beast the 7.4 supported-platforms matrix doesn't know about),
and is falling foul of this problem:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-03/msg01196.php
Teodor fixed that in the 8.0 devel cycle, but couldn't back-patch it
because it meant an on-disk layout change of gist indexes.

What I suspect is that gcc 3.3.3 doesn't have the specific error checks
I complained of in the above message, but simply generates bogus
assembly code for the incorrect C code :-(

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq