Magnus Hagander wrote:
IIRC, we previously looked into cmake and concluded it supported a lot
fewer platforms than pgsql.

However, if we can go by Alvaros suggestion and keep the makefiles as
derived files, that could certainly work...

But everyone would still need to learn it.

Maybe we should think about this and look again after release. I still think that for now the fairly low impact changes I suggested would be best.