Hope this is the right place for this post...

I'm been trying out the msvc++ build scripts for postgresql 8.2.4 on my development laptop (using window xp pro).

I noticed the sort orders of queries changed. Investigating more, encodings don't seem to be working as expected.

Using a MSVC++ build:

> CREATE DATABASE test1 WITH ENCODING = 'utf8';

> show all

"lc_collate";"English_United States.1252"
"lc_ctype";"English_United States.1252"
"lc_messages";"C"
"lc_monetary";"C"
"lc_numeric";"C"
"lc_time";"C"

Using a MSYS build:

> CREATE DATABASE test1 WITH ENCODING = 'utf8';

> show all

"lc_collate";"en_US.UTF-8"
"lc_ctype";"en_US.UTF-8"
"lc_messages";"C"
"lc_monetary";"C"
"lc_numeric";"C"
"lc_time";"C"

In both cases, the database clusters were created like this:

initdb ---locale=c --encoding=utf8;

Note that I successfully built all the various encoding projects for the MSVC++ build and have installed them.

I'd be happy to debug this a bit more if would be helpful.

Thanks,

Charlie