On 9/23/07, Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This seems rather pointless, since it's equivalent to
>         quote_ident(schemaname) || '.' || quote_ident(relname).

Yes it is, and I brought that up in the OP:

I wrote:
> Clearly a DBA could just create this function himself in SQL (and it
> wouldn't be difficult), but is that a good reason not to have it in
> our standard set of functions?

But since nobody arced up about it I thought I might as well move
things along and produce a patch.

Many of the functions provided by postgres are easy to write yourself.
 That doesn't mean they shouldn't be there.  After all, there is
*exactly* one way to do quote_qualified_ident.  Why require every DBA
who needs this functionality to go through the motions?

I'll admit that it's a minor improvement, but that seems reasonable
given it has a miniscule cost.

                http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate