Gregory Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> And given the consistency and the fact that the other icc machines
> didn't show the same problems it sounds like it's something about that
> machine, not a software problem.

Well, we haven't *got* any other icc-on-ia64 machines AFAICS, so it
could easily be a software problem.

Your remark about padding set off an alarm bell on re-reading --- what
if RelFileNode is padded to 16 bytes on that architecture?  Junk in the
padding might break lookups in bgwriter's internal hashtable.  But the
Intel docs I can find do not suggest any such thing.  Could someone
confirm what sizeof(RelFileNode) is on ia64?

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend