>>> On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 12:23 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Magne
Mæhre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> An interesting observation is that,
> as far as I can tell, the original time zone is only applied when
casting
> the element to a string.  Apart from that, it's not used.

It's been a while since I looked at it, but my recollection is that
much of the standard date/time math which people assert can't handle
practical use cases do work if the timestamps and times WITH TIME
ZONE have a time zone in the offset-from-UTC format.  I have yet to
see anyone provide an example where this isn't true; if anyone has
such an example, it would be instructive to see it.

-Kevin

               http://archives.postgresql.org