at the moment i am working on an application which is supposed to run extremely large transactions (a lot of server side stored procedure stuff which can hardly be split into small transactions for visibility reasons). so, from time to time it happens that i exceed my CommandCounter (> 2.000.000.000 statements inside the same transaction).

my idea is: how about adding a configure option to compile postgres with a 64 bit command counter. this would allow larger transactions for special purpose applications while it would not have an impact on normal applications.

comments are welcome ...

        best regards,

                hans

--