Barry,

The PreparedStatement references were being held in a Hashtable cache inside
Enhydra.  I was never actually using PreparedStatements directly, which was part
of what made finding the problem difficult.

For those who use Enhydra, there is a parameter called "maxPreparedStatements" in
the DatabaseManager.  When using very large select statements, setting this
parameter too high can cause OutOfMemoryErrors.  After adjusting this, the problem
was solved.

Thanks again for the help.

John