I am looking at trying to debug the driver for staroffice.

Unless someone can tell me otherwise, this requires logging. Currently
the driver has a rudimentary mechanism for logging

DriverManager.println()

This is ok, but it doesn't provide for various levels of debugging.

One possibility is to use something like log4j, but given the recent
distaste for adding binaries to the download I am reluctant to add a
library.

At this point I will probably add for my own purposes a simple logging
system that can be controlled by level.

A while ago someone posted a message which suggested that they had added
instrumentation to the driver. If this person is still on the list,
please contact me.

Cheers,

Dave

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster