Peter Eisentraut wrote: > Bruce Momjian wrote: > > Martijn van Oosterhout wrote: > > -- Start of PGP signed section. > > > > > On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 12:45:18AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote: > > > > I have developed a patch which creates a new pg_config.h define > > > > called PG_VERSION_NUM, which is a number like 80200, with no > > > > beta/devel designation. I think this will be helpful > > > > (eventually) for people writing plug-ins. Attached. > > > > > > I like it. Arguably the development period between 8.1 and 8.2 > > > could be designated 80190 (8.1.90) with various betas being > > > 80191-80199. But hey, having any symbol define the current version > > > is better than nothing at all. > > > > > > Thanks for this, > > > -- > > > Martijn van Oosterhout <email@example.com> > > > http://svana.org/kleptog/ > > > > > > > Patent. n. Genius is 5% inspiration and 95% perspiration. A > > > > patent is a tool for doing 5% of the work and then sitting around > > > > waiting for someone else to do the other 95% so you can sue them. > > > > OK, updated version of the patch attached and applied. > > I still object to this. What is wrong with using the catalog version > number?
It is pretty obscure to use a date stamp like that, rather than a number just like PQserverVersion(). Also, it gives minor version information that the catalog version does not. -- Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us SRA OSS, Inc. http://www.sraoss.com + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. + ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 4: Have you searched our list archives? http://archives.postgresql.org