On Tue, 2022-11-29 at 19:09 +0100, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2022-Nov-29, Mladen Gogala wrote:
>
> > Hmmm, I think I will run pgbench with and without JIT on and see
> > the
> > difference.
>
> I doubt you'll notice anything, because the pgbench queries will be
> far
> below the JIT cost, so nothing will get JIT compiled at all.  Or are
> you
> planning on using a custom set of queries?

Nope. I am planning to set jit_above_cost parameter to 5. That should
take care of the pgbench problem. Other than that, you're right: JIT
should not be used for OLTP. However, pure OLTP or DW databases are a
rarity these days. Reporting is a crucial function and almost every
OLTP database that I've seen also has reporting function, which means
that there are complex queries to be executed.
--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant