On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 at 19:40, Philippe Pepiot <p...@philpep.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to implement some range partitioning on timeseries data. But it
> looks some queries involving date_trunc() doesn't make use of partitioning.
>
> BEGIN;
> CREATE TABLE test (
>     time TIMESTAMP WITHOUT TIME ZONE NOT NULL,
>     value FLOAT NOT NULL
> ) PARTITION BY RANGE (time);
> CREATE INDEX test_time_idx ON test(time DESC);
> CREATE TABLE test_y2010 PARTITION OF test FOR VALUES FROM ('2020-01-01') TO
> ('2021-01-01');
> CREATE TABLE test_y2011 PARTITION OF test FOR VALUES FROM ('2021-01-01') TO
> ('2022-01-01');
> CREATE VIEW vtest AS SELECT DATE_TRUNC('year', time) AS time, SUM(value) AS
> value FROM test GROUP BY 1;
> EXPLAIN (COSTS OFF) SELECT * FROM vtest WHERE time >= TIMESTAMP '2021-01-01';
> ROLLBACK;
>
> The plan query all partitions:

> I wonder if there is a way with a reasonable amount of SQL code to achieve
> this
> with vanilla postgres ?

The only options I see for you are

1) partition by LIST(date_Trunc('year', time)), or;
2) use a set-returning function instead of a view and pass the date
range you want to select from the underlying table via parameters.

I imagine you won't want to do #1. However, it would at least also
allow the aggregation to be performed before the Append if you SET
enable_partitionwise_aggregate=1.

#2 isn't as flexible as a view as you'd have to create another
function or expand the parameters of the existing one if you want to
add items to the WHERE clause.

Unfortunately, date_trunc is just a black box to partition pruning, so
it's not able to determine that DATE_TRUNC('year', time) >=
'2021-01-01'  is the same as time >= '2021-01-01'.  It would be
possible to make PostgreSQL do that, but that's a core code change,
not something that you can do from SQL.

David