Peter,

>       I'm sure that you've thought of this, but it sounds like you may not have
> done an analyze in your new DB.

Yes.  Also a VACUUM.  Also forcing a REINDEX on the major involved tables.

Also running counts on the pg_* system tables to see if any objects did not
get restored from the backup as compared with the live database.

By everything I can measure, the live database and the test are identical; yet
the test does not think that idx_caseclients_case is very accessable, and the
live database knows it is.

Is this perhaps a bug with ANALYZE statistics in 7.2.4?  I know that in that
version I don't have the option of increasing the statistics sampling ...

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions