To anyone who didn't get the news the first time: The first set of benchmarks were terribly skewed because FreeBSD didn't properly work with the hardware I was using. Thanks to those who pointed the problem out to me.
I have scrounged new hardware, and insured that FreeBSD is working properly with it. And I have rerun many of the tests (not all).
Thanks again to all who responded with helpful tips and pointers.
I'm hoping to work on these tests a little bit at a time, adding additional tests and their results, so feel free to stop back and check the page every so often. I don't intend to announce future updates on these lists unless there is something that seems considerably important found.
If you've made a suggestion on additional tests to run, please rest assured that I got your email and have added the test to my list of things to try. I simply got more emails than I could respond to. I apologize to everyone who didn't get a personal response.
Again, feedback is welcome, but if it's of any magnitude similar to what I just got, I doubt I'll be able to respond to everyone. Please don't be offended. I'm rather surprised at how popular this information was.
-- Bill Moran Potential Technologies http://www.potentialtech.com
---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to [EMAIL PROTECTED]