Wouldn't it be the most portable solution to work with a domain?
CREATE DOMAIN BIG_NUMBER AS BIGINT;

If I use BIG_NUMBER everywhere I need it in my database, porting it to other database products should be easy... any SQL 92 compliant dbms should support domains.

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 00:06, Josh Berkus wrote:
Yusuf,

> Does anyone know where I could get some documentation
> on how the int and decimal are implemented so I could
> prove to him that ints are better?  Can people suggest
> good points to make in order to prove it?

RTFM:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/interactive/datatype.html#DATATYPE-NUMERIC