Here's the contents of the postgresql.conf file (I've been playing with these setting the last couple of days, and using the guide @ http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/annotated_conf_e.html to make sure I didn't have it mis-tuned):
tcpip_socket = true
max_connections = 500 # We will need quite a few connections; currently only one connection to database, however
port = 5432
shared_buffers = 5000 # I've tried 5000 to 80,000 with no apparent difference
wal_buffers = 16
sort_mem = 256 # decreased this due to the large # of connectiosn
effective_cache_size = 50000 # read that this can improve performance; hasn't done anything.
The machine is a dual-Pentium 3 933mhz, with 2 gigabytes of RAM and a 3Ware RAID-5 card.
As a reference, our production Oracle database (exactly the same hardware, but RAID-mirroring) with way more load can handle the query in 1-2 seconds. I have MySQL 4.0.14 with InnoDB on the same machine (shutdown when I am testing Postgres, and visa versa) and it does the query in 0.20 seconds.
Thanks for any insight.