        From: Josh Berkus [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Tue 10/21/2003 1:22 PM
        To: Anjan Dave; Richard Huxton; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Tuning for mid-size server

        > From what I know, there is a cache-row-set functionality that doesn't
        > exist with the newer postgres...
        What?  PostgreSQL has always used the kernel cache for queries.
        > Concurrent users will start from 1 to a high of 5000 or more, and could
        > ramp up rapidly. So far, with increased users, we have gone up to
        > starting the JVM (resin startup) with 1024megs min and max (recommended
        > by Sun) - on the app side.
        Well, just keep in mind when tuning that your calculations should be based on
        *available* RAM, meaning RAM not used by Apache or the JVM.
        With that many concurrent requests, you'll want to be *very* conservative with
        sort_mem; I might stick to the default of 1024 if I were you, or even lower
        it to 512k.
        Josh Berkus
        Aglio Database Solutions
        San Francisco