> It would be interesting to see exactly what inputs are going into this
> equation.  Do you feel like adding some debug printouts into this code?
> Or just looking at the variables with a debugger?  In 7.3 it's about
> line 1060 in src/backend/commands/analyze.c.

I don't really have time to follow up at this moment, but I think this would
be interesting to look into, so I'll plan to dig into it over the
Thanksgiving Holiday when I'll have a little time free to follow up on some
fun projects. Your pointers should let me get into it pretty quickly.

In the meantime, I'll just set up a cron job that runs behind my nightly
analyze to put the correct numbers into pg_statistic on the tables that this

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster