Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

FWIW, there are only two pieces of software that need 64bit aware for a typical server job. Kernel and glibc. Rest of the apps can do fine as 32 bits unless you are oracle and insist on outsmarting OS.

In fact running 32 bit apps on 64 bit OS has plenty of advantages like effectively using the cache. Unless you need 64bit, going for 64bit software is not advised.

This is a good point. While doing research on this matter a few months back, I saw comments by people testing 64-bit MySQL that some operations would run faster and some slower due to the use of 64-bit datatypes versus 32-bit. The best solution in the end is probably to run 32-bit Postgres under a 64-bit kernel -- unless your DB tends to have a lot of 64-bit datatypes.

Thanks Shridhar and William,

This advice has been very helpful. I would imagine a lot of folks are, or will soon be looking at 32- vs. 64-bit just for memory reasons and not 64-bit apps.

- Jeff

Jeff Bohmer
VisionLink, Inc.
People. Tools. Change. Community.