Along similar lines - have generally obtained better server performance (and stability) from most Linux distros after replacing their supplied kernel with one from .

Josh Berkus wrote:

While debugging a wireless card, I came across this interesting bit:

What it indicates is that by default SuSE 9.0 plays with the timeslice values for the Linux kernel in order to provide a "smoother" user experience. In my experience, this can be very bad news for databases under heavy multi-user load.

I would suggest that anyone installing a SuSE 9.0 PostgreSQL server remove the Desktop pararmeter in the bootloader configuration.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster