Anjan Dave wrote:
Hello,
I would like to know whether there are any significant performance advantages of compiling (say, 7.4) on your platform (being RH7.3, 8, and 9.0, and Fedora especially) versus getting the relevant binaries (rpm) from the postgresql site? Hardware is Intel XEON (various speeds, upto 2.8GHz, single/dual/quad configuration).

"significant" is a relative term. 1% can be significant under the proper circumstances ...

http://www.potentialtech.com/wmoran/source.php

The information isn't specific to Postgres, and the results aren't really
conclusive, but hopefully it helps.

I really think that if someone would actually test this with Postgres and
post the results, it would be very beneficial to the community.  I have
it on my list of things to do, but it's unlikely to get done in the first
quarter the way things are going.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [EMAIL PROTECTED])