From: Christopher Kings-Lynne [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 12:02 AM
To: Shea,Dan [CIS]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Why will vacuum not end?

This vacuum is running  a marathon.  Why will it not end and show me free
space map INFO?  We have deleted a lot of data and I would like to be
confident that these deletions will be used as free space, rather than
creating more table files.

Does another postgres query running have a lock on that table?

This may be a dumb question (but only because I don't know the answer)

Doesn't/shouldn't vacuum have some kind of timeout so if a table is locked
it will give up eventually (loudly complaining when it does so)?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend