Paul Serby wrote:

Can anyone give a good reference site/book for getting the most out of your postgres server.

All I can find is contradicting theories on how to work out your settings.

This is what I followed to setup our db server that serves our web applications.

http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/smith20010821.php3?page=2

We have a Dell Poweredge with the following spec.

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.06GHz (512 KB Cache)
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.06GHz (512 KB Cache)
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.06GHz (512 KB Cache)
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.06GHz (512 KB Cache)
Physical Memory: 2077264 kB
Swap Memory: 2048244 kB

Apache on the Web server can take up to 300 connections and PHP is using pg_pconnect

Postgres is set with the following.

max_connections = 300
shared_buffers = 38400
sort_mem = 12000

But Apache is still maxing out the non-super user connection limit.

Tell us the value MaxClients in your apache configuration

Regards Gaetano Mendola

http://archives.postgresql.org