> This is really interesting.  We had previously seen some evidence that
> the Xeon sucks at running Postgres, but I thought that the issues only
> materialized with multiple CPUs (because what we were concerned about
> was the cost of transferring cache lines across CPUs).  AFAICS this test
> is using single CPUs.  Maybe there is more going on than we realized.

Aside from the fact that the Xeon architecture is a kludge?

Intel really screwed up the whole Xeon line through some bad architectural
decisions, and instead of starting over from scratch, "patched" the problem.
The result has been sub-optimal Xeon performance for the last two years.

This is why AMD is still alive.   Better efficiency, lower cost.

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco