Thanks for the thanks !

Generally, when grouping stuff together, it is a good idea to have two sorted lists, and to scan them simultaneously. I have already used this solution several times outside of Postgres, and it worked very well (it was with Berkeley DB and there were 3 lists to scan in order). The fact that Python can very easily virtualize these lists using generators makes it possible to do it without consuming too much memory.

Pierre-Frederic, Paul,

Thanks for your fast response (especially for the python code and
performance figure) - I'll chase this up as a solution - looks most
promising!

Cheers,

Damien