> My guess is that all the queries that involves the columns  that are
> being indexed need to
> be rewritten to use the newly created indexes to avoid the performance
> issues. The reason
> is that REINDEX does not help either. Does it make sense?

Qing,

Generally, adding new indexes blindly will hurt performance, not help it.

More indexes mean more work during INSERT/UPDATE.  That could easily be
hampering your performance if you have a high INSERT/UPDATE volume.

Run your queries through EXPLAIN ANALYZE to make sure they're using the
right indexes.  Take a look at the pg_stat_user_indexes table to see what
indexes are simply not being used.

Jason