Mischa Sandberg wrote:

In the meantime, what I gather from browsing mail archives is that postgresql on Solaris seems to get hung up on IO rather than CPU.

Well, people more knowledgeable in the secrets of postgres seem confident that this is not your problem. Fortunetly, however, there is a simple way to find out.

Just download the utinyint var type from pgfoundry (http://pgfoundry.org/projects/sql2pg/). There are some stuff there you will need to compile yourself from CVS. I'm sorry, but I haven't done a proper release just yet. In any case, the utinyint type should provide you with the data type you seek, and thus allow you to find out whether this is, indeed, the problem.

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.