Robert Creager <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Normally, this query takes from 5 minutes to 2 hours to run.  On this update, it's
> been running for more than 10 hours.

>         ->  Nested Loop  (cost=250.69..129094.19 rows=77211 width=59)
>               ->  Hash Join  (cost=250.69..307.34 rows=67 width=12)
>                     Hash Cond: ("outer".pair_id = "inner".pair_id)

It chose a nested loop here because it was only expecting 67 rows out of
the next-lower join, and so it thought it would only need 67 repetitions
of the index probe into obs_v_file_id_index.  I'm suspicious that that
estimate was way low and so the nestloop is taking forever.  You might
try "SET enable_nestloop = off" as a crude way of avoiding that trap.