Tom Lane wrote:

Pallav Kalva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I have a problem with the below query, when i do explain on the below query on my live database it doesnt use any index specified on the tables and does seq scan on the table which is 400k records. But if i copy the same table onto a different database on a different machine it uses all the indexes specified and query runs much quicker.

It looks to me like you've never vacuumed/analyzed the copy, and so you get a different plan there. The fact that that plan is better than the one made with statistics is unhappy making :-( ... but when you only show us EXPLAIN output rather than EXPLAIN ANALYZE, it's impossible to speculate about why. Also, what PG version is this?

                        regards, tom lane

Thanks! for the quick reply. I cant run the EXPLAIN ANALYZE on the live database because, it takes lot of time and hols up lot of other queries on the table. The postgres version I am using is 7.4 . when you say " i never vacuum/analyxed the copy" you mean the Live database ? or the copy of the live database ? . I run vacuum database daily on my live database as a part of daily maintanence.