Christopher Browne wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Josh Berkus) wrote:

This result is so surprising that I want people to take a look at it
and tell me if there's something wrong with the tests or some
bottlenecking factor that I've not seen.

I'm aware of two conspicuous scenarios where ARC would be expected to
_substantially_ improve performance:

1. When it allows a VACUUM not to throw useful data out of the shared cache in that VACUUM now only 'chews' on one
page of the cache;

Right, Josh, I assume you didn't run these test with pg_autovacuum running, which might be interesting.

Also how do these numbers compare to 7.4? They may not be what you expected, but they might still be an improvment.

Matthew

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [EMAIL PROTECTED])