On 10/14/2004 6:36 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:

[...]
I think Jan has said this also in far fewer words, but I'll leave that to
Jan to agree/disagree...

I do agree. The total DB size has as little to do with the optimum shared buffer cache size as the total available RAM of the machine.

After reading your comments it appears more clear to me. All what those tests did show is the amount of high frequently accessed data in this database population and workload combination.

I say this: ARC in 8.0 PostgreSQL allows us to sensibly allocate as large a shared_buffers cache as is required by the database workload, and this should not be constrained to a small percentage of server RAM.

Right.

Jan

     joining column's datatypes do not match