<OT>
Hyperthreading is actually an excellent architectural feature that
can give significant performance gains when implemented well and used
for an appropriate workload under a decently HT aware OS.

IMO, typical RDBMS streams are not an obviously appropriate workload,
Intel didn't implement it particularly well and I don't think there
are any OSes that support it particularly well.
</OT>

But don't write off using it in the future, when it's been improved
at both the OS and the silicon levels.

You are quite right of course - unfortunately the current Intel implementation meets nearly none of these criteria! As Rod Taylor pointed out off-list, IBM's SMT implementation on the Power5 is vastly superior. Though he's also just told me that Sun is beating IBM on price/performance for his workload, so who knows how reliable a chap he is... ;-)