Hi,

I have a very tricky situation here. A client bought a Dell dual-machine
to be used as Database Server, and we have a cheaper machine used in
development. With identical databases, configuration parameters and
running the same query, our machine is almost 3x faster.

I tried to increase the shared_buffers and other parameters, but the
result is still the same. I would like to know what can I do to check
what can be "holding" the Dell server (HD, memory, etc). Both machines
run Debian Linux.

I'll post configuration details below, so you'll can figure my scenario
better.

==> Dell PowerEdge:
HD: SCSI
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 2791.292
cache size      : 512 KB

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 2791.292
cache size      : 512 KB

# free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:          1010        996         14          0         98
506

==> Other machine:
HD: IDE
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.26GHz
stepping        : 5
cpu MHz         : 2262.166
cache size      : 512 KB

#free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:           439        434          4          0         16
395