Tom Lane wrote:
Um ... doh ... analyze.c about line 1550:

    /* We can only compute valid stats if we found some non-null values. */
    if (nonnull_cnt > 0)

There's a bit of an epistemological issue here: if we didn't actually
find any nonnull values in our sample, is it legitimate to assume that
the column is entirely null?  On the other hand, if we find only "3" in
our sample we will happily assume the column contains only "3", so I
dunno why we are discriminating against null.  This seems like a case
that just hasn't come up before.

Will this discriminatory policy toward null end for 8.0?

Mike Mascari

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend