This page may be of use:

http://www.serverworldmagazine.com/monthly/2003/02/solaris.shtml

From personal experience, for god's sake don't think Solaris' VM/swap implementation is easy - it's damn good, but it ain't easy!

Matt

Kevin Schroeder wrote:

I think it's probably just reserving them. I can't think of anything else. Also, when I run swap activity with sar I don't see any activity, which also points to reserved swap space, not used swap space.

swap -s reports

total: 358336k bytes allocated + 181144k reserved = 539480k used, 2988840k available

Kevin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alan Stange" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Kevin Schroeder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <pgsql-performance@postgresql.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 11:04 AM
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Swapping on Solaris

Kevin Schroeder wrote:

I may be asking the question the wrong way, but when I start up PostgreSQL swap is what gets used the most of. I've got 1282MB free RAM right now and and 515MB swap in use. Granted, swap file usage probably wouldn't be zero, but I would guess that it should be a lot lower so something must be keeping PostgreSQL from using the free RAM that my system is reporting. For example, one of my postgres processes is 201M in size but on 72M is resident in RAM. That extra 130M is available in RAM, according to top, but postgres isn't using it.

The test you're doing doesn't measure what you think you're measuring.

First, what else is running on the machine? Note that some shared memory allocations do reserve backing pages in swap, even though the pages aren't currently in use. Perhaps this is what you're measuring? "swap -s" has better numbers than top.

You'd be better by trying a reboot then starting pgsql and seeing what memory is used.

Just because you start a process and see the swap number increase doesn't mean that the new process is in swap. It means some anonymous pages had to be evicted to swap to make room for the new process or some pages had to be reserved in swap for future use. Typically a new process won't be paged out unless something else is causing enormous memory pressure...

-- Alan

     joining column's datatypes do not match