To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Richard Huxton" <dev@archonet.com>; "Andrei Bintintan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <pgsql-sql@postgresql.org>; <pgsql-performance@postgresql.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 8:28 PM
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] [SQL] OFFSET impact on Performance???

Alex Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I am also very interesting in this very question.. Is there any way to
declare a persistant cursor that remains open between pg sessions?
This would be better than a temp table because you would not have to
do the initial select and insert into a fresh table and incur those IO
costs, which are often very heavy, and the reason why one would want
to use a cursor.

TANSTAAFL. How would such a persistent cursor be implemented if not by building a temporary table somewhere behind the scenes?

There could be some advantage if the data were stored in a temporary table
marked as not having to be WAL logged. Instead it could be automatically
cleared on every database start.

--
greg

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq