Merlin Moncure wrote:

> [...]
> > (...DBI + DBD::Pg), so that switching to 8.0 should
> automatically enable the "single-prepare, multiple-execute" behavior,
> saving a lot of query planner processing, if I understand correctly.

[...]

I know that the perl people were pushing for certain features into the
libpq library (describing prepared statements, IIRC).  I think this
stuff made it into 8.0...have no clue about DBD::pg.

For the record: yes, DBD::Pg in CVS (> 1.32) has support for server prepared statements.

If everything is working the way it's supposed to, 8.0 should be faster
than 7.1 (like, twice faster) for what you are probably trying to do.

In the next days I will be testing the entire application with the same database only changing the backend from 7.1 to 8.0, so this is a somewhat perfect condition to have a "real-world" benchmark of Pg 8.0 vs 7.1.x performances.

--
Cosimo

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not match